Academic Studies in Theology Certificate or Diploma in Ministry
Abide Trainees will enrol in either the Academic Studies in Theology Certificate or the Diploma in Ministry from the Australian College of Theology through the Timothy Partnership as part of their training throughout the year.
Navigators is a discipleship tool that delves deep into God’s Word to apply eternal truths to everyday life, ministry and community. This series will provide an excellent platform for your personal discipleship and spiritual growth.
- Growing Strong in God’s Family
- Deepening Your Roots in God’s Family
- Bearing Fruit in God’s Family
Young Life Leadership
During your year at Abide, you will be given the opportunity to serve as a leader with Young Life Armidale.
You will learn and practice in the Young Life model of relational evangelism throughout the year. This material builds upon Young Life Australia’s Leadership Foundations for volunteers.
- Schools: Young Life is engaged in Armidale’s two public high schools and one Indigenous primary school. In this context you will help to run lunchtime activities, breakfast programs and other opportunities to serve the schools and support the students.
- Club: These weekly meetings for young people are a wonderful platform to share the biblical message of hope. You will learn how to effectively manage a group of young people by making an evening relevant, safe and enjoyable.
- Camps: To take young people out of their regular environment is an invaluable part of Young Life ministry. It is often through camping experiences that young people meet Christ and that friendships are deepened.
- Small Groups & Church: Young Life teaches a process of discipleship. You will learn to help young people grow in their relationship with Christ and find their place in God’s family.
Work Crew at Young Life Summer Camp
You will begin your Abide journey in the second week of January, with a life-changing week serving young people from around Australia at Young Life’s national camp in Jindabyne. Seeing young people’s lives impacted by the humble service of many volunteers sets the tone for the rest of your year!
During the year, you will have the chance to visit smaller, remote and disadvantaged communities to offer practical assistance and compassionate care. You will see what it means to serve Christ in some challenging situations.
Jesus often took his disciples away from the crowds in order to refocus and reconnect with God the Father. Abide has several retreats of various types structured throughout the year.
Cross Cultural Ministry
Young Life Armidale works with people from diverse backgrounds including many Indigenous young people. Abide will challenge you to consider the importance of faith and culture.
Other tools you will acquire during the year include your First Aid and Mental Health First Aid certificates as well as basic outdoor skills including canoeing proficiency.