Statement of Mission Purpose
Young Life is a mission community of Christ-centred people committed to reaching adolescent youth with the gospel of Jesus Christ.
We believe that we, as a community of adult Christians who belong to a broad diversity of church traditions, have been called and gifted by God to carry out this ministry. We do this by building personal relationships with young people, by sharing our lives and participating with them in a variety of experiences through which the gospel can be heard and experienced.
We carry out our mission under the authority of Scripture and in accordance with our understanding of incarnational witness, seeking to en-flesh the gospel in our lives and relationships, and therefore,
We are committed to:
• The welfare and spiritual health of those who do this ministry, that they may do it out of a consistent and growing relationship with Christ and His Church.
• Submit to and communicate effectively the whole Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ, as best we understand that Gospel.
• Researching and developing innovative approaches to the evangelisation of young people so that the unreached, uninterested or uncommitted youth of the world shall continue to be reached.
• All young people wherever they may live in the world, or whatever may be their social, economic, ethnic, cultural, or racial environment.
• Seek out and welcome all those whom God directs to our ministry, male and female of all races, salaried and volunteer, with a diversity of Christian traditions linked in our common purpose, and to honour their calling and encourage the fullest expression of their gifts.
• Obey our Lord’s mandate that all His people should be one, and therefore to work cooperatively within the Church of Jesus Christ around the world, so that more young people may be reached.
• The highest standards of ethical stewardship of all resources placed in our trust.
Young Life Australia Statement of Faith
All those who participate in the ongoing work and witness of the mission shall be in agreement with its central purpose of proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ. In order to qualify for office, members of the Board of Directors, members of staff, and volunteers, shall subscribe to the following articles of faith.
The Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments being given by divine inspiration, is the word of God, the final and supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
In the Scriptures God reveals Himself as the living and true God, Creator of all things. Perfect in love and righteous in all His ways this one God exists eternally as a Trinity of persons: The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
God made man in His image that he might have fellowship with Him. Being estranged from God by his disobedience, sinful man is incapable of a right relationship to God apart from divine grace.
The only Mediator between God and man is Jesus Christ our Lord, God’s eternal Son, who as man fully shared and fulfilled our humanity in a life of perfect obedience.
By His death in our place, Jesus revealed the divine love and upheld divine justice, removing our guilt and reconciling us to God. Having risen bodily from the dead and ascended into heaven, He rules as Lord over all and intercedes for us as our great high priest.
The Holy Spirit, through the proclamation of the gospel, renews our hearts, persuading us to repent of our sins and confess Jesus as Lord. By the same Spirit we are led to trust in divine mercy, whereby we are forgiven all our sins, justified by faith through the merit of Christ our Saviour, adopted into God’s family as His children and enabled so to live in the world that men may see our good works and glorify our Father who is in heaven.
God by His word and Spirit calls sinful men into the fellowship of Christ’s body. Thus He creates the one holy, catholic and apostolic church, united in the bonds of love, endowed with the gifts of the Spirit and summoned by Christ to preach the gospel and to administer the sacraments, to relieve human need and to strive for social justice.
God’s redemptive purpose will be consummated by the return of Christ to raise the dead, judge all men and establish His glorious kingdom. Those who are apart from Christ shall be eternally separated from God’s presence, but the righteous shall live and reign with Him forever.