Youth Outreach Ministry | Bathurst Area Manager | Full-Time Position
Young Life Australia is looking for a full-time manager to lead its flourishing operations in Bathurst.
This is a true managerial position where you will be called upon to use your skills and experience in financial management; planning and budgeting; supervising and training a team of staff and volunteers; organising fundraising events; and organising donors and supporters. As well as the above, you will be coordinating one of the most dynamic youth outreach ministries in the Central West.
Young Life is a non-denominational Christian charity with a unique and dynamic and unique ministry model based on a relational approach to young people outside the usual reach of the local church. We are seeking a spiritually mature person with a heart for outreach and discipleship to work with staff, volunteers and young people in Bathurst.
What will the role look like?
To be successful in the role you will need to be a “jack of all trades”. The core skills required are an active relationship with and a deep trust in Jesus, the ability to gather and release missional communities of volunteers, and confidence engaging with teenagers as well as strong management and administration skills.
Your week may involve serving pancakes at a local high school, attending youth interagency meetings, meeting with local church ministers to discuss partnership and attending activities with the teenagers. Some days you’ll be meeting 1:1 with volunteers, opening the bible with a group of teens, meeting with a prospective donor and then packing a trailer to head off camping for a weekend.
It’s a dynamic and varied role, with the with the purpose of giving teenagers the opportunity to hear about Jesus.
The role is not a 9-5pm job: there are regular before-school and evening commitments, as well as travel over weekends and camps to attend during school holidays. Flexible work arrangements are offered.
- managing staff
- recruiting, training and caring for volunteers
- and ensuring implementation of Young Life’s ministry model, including programs both in and out of school, clubs
- attending and at times overseeing local and national camping activities.
This role is funded by individual support raising, as well as fundraising with the local support committee, so you need to be willing to do this part of the role. Training will be provided.
The position is full-time and the successful applicant will need to reside in Bathurst.
The role reports to the Central West Regional Manager; is supported by a local committee and is part of a staff team from Bathurst, Dubbo and Warren.
Young Life in Bathurst has an 11-year history working with unchurched young people.
REQUIRED SKILLS | You need to have:
- a committed Christian faith, and active in a faith community
- a heart for the wider church and an ability to lay your denominational views to the side
- a qualification and/or experience in the youth sector or ministry (previous experience will be recognised in place of a qualification if the experience is appropriate)
- empathy and experience in relating well with young people and their families
- professionalism and experience in relating well with other stakeholders, both in the Christian and secular environment
- capacity to train, care for and manage staff
- capacity to recruit, train and release teams of volunteers
- willingness to raise individual financial support, and co-ordinate fundraising events
- self-motivation and an ability to work autonomously
- good reporting and process management skills
- a willingness for accountability to meet set targets & agreed KPIs
- excellent verbal & written communication skills
- flexibility to be able to engage in activities outside usual work hours (including weekends and overnight trips at times)
- a current unrestricted driver licence
HIGHLY DESIRABLE | It would be helpful if you have:
- previous management experience of staff and/or volunteers
- background in youth-related not-for-profit Christian mission
- accredited first aid certificate
TO APPLY FOR THIS JOB:
- Go to: http://younglife.org.au/statement-of-faith/ to read through our Mission Purpose and Statement of Faith to ensure you align with our values
- Call Mark Stretton (Manager Field Operations) on 0435 743 964 to find out more about the position
- Email the following to: email@example.com
- Your resume
- Answers to the Required Skills & Highly Desirable criteria using examples from your work, volunteering, training and education demonstrating how you meet the required criteria. It is available to download here.
- A one page letter telling us why you want this role
- Two references, with names, contact details and the context in which you know them, one of which should be your current church or ministry team leader.
Applicants who do not email all of the above will not be considered for interview.
Remuneration package will be discussed at interview.
More Information: Contact Mark Stretton for more information about Young Life and this position based in Bathurst. P: 0435 743 964 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close Friday 8th February, 2019. The ideal start date is February, however for the right candidate we are willing to negotiate.
NOTE: It is your duty to advise Young Life Australia of any pre-existing medical or psychological condition and/or personal situation, which could impact on your ability to carry out the employment for which you are applying.